Windows Firewall it’s another one layer of security in your Home PC or Company PC or Laptop. It has a very bad reputation since Windows XP and 7 because it causing more problems instead to solve it.
However, Microsoft last year has done lot of improvement in Security and to the Windows Firewall as well.
Usually in companies Windows Firewall to the PC’s might be disable. IT Departments has more advance security solutions and Firewalls to protect the devices from malicious traffic, unauthorized access and more.
Furthermore, Home PC’s are vulnerable without protection and should keep it turn on. You are vulerable if you will turn off Windows Firewall.
However sometime must be turn off Windows Firewall temporary for a specific reason. It’s very easy and it will not take more than 10 minutes.
You can use different ways to turn off the Windows Firewall that I will describe in next paragraphs.
Turn Off Windows Firewall from Windows Security App
Most common way to Turn off the Windows Firewall in Windows 10 and 11 is from Windows Security App.
- Click Start
- Click Settings
- Go in Update & Security
- Click on Windows Security from the left sidebar.
- Select the Firewall & Network Protection.
- Click on Private Network.
- Switch to Off the Microsoft Defender Firewall bar
Turn Off Windows Firewall from Windows Defender Firewall Control Panel
Except from the Windows Security App that can use it to disable the Windows Firewall, you can turn it off with the Windows Defender Firewall Control Panel.
So let’s take a look how can do it
- Click Start and type Control Panel. Select the Control Panel
- Select the System and Security.
- Click on Windows Defender Firewall.
- From the left side click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off
- In the Public Network settings click on Turn of Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click OK
Turn Off Windows Firewall from PowerShell
For the more advance user they can turn off or disable the Windows Firewall from a simple PowerShell command.
When you are using the Laptop/Workstation in your Home and it’s not part of a company the Windows Firewall has Public and Private Profile.
If you want to turn off all the Profiles then run the following PowerShell commands
- Open the PowerShell As Administrator.
- Note that if you don’t open it as Administrator and run the command you will get the following error.
- Type the followinh command if you want to Turn off the Windows Firewall for all the Profiles
Set-NetFirewallProfile -Enabled false
- Run the following command to verify the Status
Get-NetFirewallProfile | select Name ,Enabled
- If you would like to turn off or disable a specific Profile in the Windows Firewall then you must run the following command
- Change the -Profile with the Profile that you would like to turn off
Set-NetFirewallProfile -Profile Private -Enabled false
You can find multiple ways to turn off or disable the Windows Firewall. However, Windows Firewall it’s not recommended to disable it because offer another Layer of Security.
Can block any unauthorized traffic in your pc and protect you from different attacks that might be harm the Laptop/Workstation and your data.